A step by step guide on using seed tray for starting plants
Seed trays are easy and cost effective way of starting plants indoors.After plants are grown to certain heights, they can easily be transplanted in their actual location. All you need is a seeding tray, good potting mix, seeds and cane of water. Below is step by step guide explaining use of seed tray.
- Buy a good quality flat, plastic seed tray. It can be small or big depending on your requirement. Here I used tray with 104 cells.
- Fill the cells in the tray with good potting mix. Potting mix is a mixture of peat moss, compost, choir and vermiculite which promote quick growth.
Read Also : Edibles for urban gardening
Read Also : Vegetable sowing chart
- Compact the mix in each cell using fingers and sprinkle water on the tray. You should water the potting mix now only otherwise there are chances of seeds getting displaced from the cells.
- Make a 1 cm deep hole in each cell and sprinkle 2-3 seeds in it. You can thin out seedlings later once seeds are sprouted.
- Cover the seeds with fine layer of potting mix. Read instructions on the seed packet as some seeds are not required to be covered, they need light to germinate.In a week seeds will sprout. Transplant them in their permanent location once they are few inches tall.
saplings coming out after few weeks.
Read Also : When to sow different flower plant seeds ?
You may be interested
Growing Vegetables by Season in IndiaAdmin - Mar 05, 2017
Growing season is important to know before we plan for growing any vegetable. Plant can grow only when it gets best environment. Refer…
Flowers by Season in IndiaAdmin - Mar 05, 2017
Growing season is important to know before we plan for growing any flower. Plant can grow only when it gets best environment. Refer…